Driven By Heart Scholarship
Brigitte McBride started the non-profit, Driven by Heart Scholarships, along with her mother and son, to “help big hearted youth in the community. “
The Driven by Heart Scholarship is in memory of Estelle VanPelt, grandmother to Brigitte and Heather McBride and mother to 5 boys. She began active involvement with the Cub Scouts in the 1950s and continued to rise through the ranks of the Cub Scouts for the next 50 years. Estelle became the first lady Cub Master in 1974 and started Handicap Scouting in the Staten Island schools in 1982 as well as in Connecticut in 1987. She received scouting’s highest award, the Silver Beaver, in 1981. Giving back has been a family tradition and the family wishes to continue to support students who give their all to help others in their community.
This fund shall be to support students at Linn-Benton Community College who have displayed active involvement in a local project based in compassionate contribution that is designed and effective in helping a group of high-need individuals, animals or natural habitats.
Scholarships will be awarded winter & spring term as funds allow. Driven by Heart Scholarships should be contacted annually about inclusion in the process. Awards may be used for education-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, transportation and/or living expenses.
1. Students must be actively or previously involved in a local project contributing to the community in a compassionate way.
2. Must be an Oregon resident.
3. Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more). May be a DPP student.
4. Students are required to submit a personal essay sharing how they are actively involved, or have been previously involved, in a local project based on a compassionate contribution.
5. Preference is given to under-represented minorities/disabled students.
6. Students must have unmet financial need.
A thank you letter made out to Driven By Heart Scholarship is required within 3 weeks of the start of the term.